Bebo Founder Michael Birch Wipes The Whiteboard Clean?
Bebo founder, Michael Birch has announced his plan to retire the existing version of Bebo while they build a brand new Bebo, after his reacquisition of the site early July. The new site will be less cocky?!
The old Bebo whiteboard contained one million drawings of cocks and balls. Am I joking? Nope, I am quoting from the material Bebo’s CMO Matt Kelly e-mailed me today.
If you don’t believe me, fine. The announcement from Birch comes in the form of a personal video message titled: Bebo Founder: “It’s time to come clean.”
WTF? Bebo Wipes The Cocks and Balls Whiteboard?
Should we be afraid or ashamed to tell this? Hell no, we are ViralBlog. In this video Michael Birch Michael announces his plan to wipe the slate clean, and start fresh with a brand new, less ‘cocky’ Bebo.
The video was created by our friends from Rubber Republic, the UK based viral agency.
Bebo Facts & Buyback
Bebo is a strange story. Some facts you might want to know?
● A social network founded by Michael and Xochi Birch in 2005
● Was sold to AOL in 2008 for $850M, and then to Criterion Capital Partners in 2010 for $10M
● At its peak, Bebo had over 40m members
● Bebo hosts 1 petabyte of photos on more than 500 servers
● Users created their dedicated profile page, and used features such as: groups, comments, whiteboard drawing, original video content, and photo sharing
● Michael and Xochi acquired Bebo in an auction for $1M on July 1st 2013 after the company went through Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
● Bebo is incorporated by the company Pigs In Flight, Inc., a subsidiary of the Birch’s personal incubator The Monkey Inferno
Visit Bebo here.
Seriously my dear readers, I am speechless for the first time since we started ViralBlog in 2007.
Being a keynote speaker, I have no trouble at all sharing my thoughts at large events. Same for my opinionated stories here on ViralBlog, mostly pretty clear and bold.
But today I can’t seem to make up my mind on Bebo and its new approach. Compelling experiment, comes to my mind.
Luckily we have a large audience, willing to share their ideas. So will you help me out?
What About You?
How do you like the new Bebo approach and Michael Birch’s video? What do you expect from the new Bebo? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
About the Author
Igor Beuker was CMO at 3 listed companies, chairman at the IAB, jury member at Webby, AMMA and Esprix awards, founder of 3 digital agencies (sold to WPP) and global chief social officer at Mindshare. Now he is freejack consultant and still a sought after keynote speaker