The Golden Tweets AKA Most Popular Tweets Of 2012
Twitter have revealed the most popular tweets of the year 2012 on the social media site, or ‘Golden Tweets’ as they’re called.
‘Golden Tweets’ are tweets that generated the most Retweets for the year, and that caught attention around the world. Here are the top two Tweets that generated the most Retweets for the year, plus honorable mentions for a few other Tweets that caught attention around the world.
1. President Obama comments on his reelection: 810,000+ retweets 300,000+ favorites
Before he took the stage to affirm his election victory, President Obama marked his win via Twitter. Within hours, this Tweet simultaneously became the most retweeted of 2012 — and the most retweeted ever, sent by people in more than 200 countries around the world.
Four more years. twitter.com/BarackObama/st…
— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) november 7, 2012
2. Justin Bieber says goodbye to a fan: 220,000+ retweets 100,000+ favorites
Suffering from a rare form of brain cancer, six-year-old Avalanna Routh was big Justin Bieber fan, and the pop star had grown close to her during her illness. When she passed away in September. Bieber paid tribute to her in a Tweet, and many, many Twitter Beliebers responded.
RIP Avalanna. i love you
— Justin Bieber (@justinbieber) september 26, 2012
3. Packer TJ Lang voices his frustration: 98,000+ retweets 28,000+ favorites In September the Seattle Seahawks went head-to-head with the Green Bay Packers. The now-infamous final play was called by a “replacement ref” due to a labor standoff with the referees’ union. That call generated 1+ million Tweets as players and fans flocked to Twitter to grouse about the decision. TJ’s Tweet became the most retweeted of the night — and of the NFL season overall.
Fuck it NFL.. Fine me and use the money to pay the regular refs.
— TJ Lang (@TJLang70) september 25, 2012
4. Team GB congratulates its athletes
For the first time since 1948, the Summer Olympics returned to London. British athletes performed extremely well, with a “home team” advantage resulting in more medals than expected. Fans followed their every move, joining in at the close of the Games to show their support for #OurGreatestTeam.
29 gold, 17 silver, 19 bronze – We finished 3rd in medal table after most successful Olympics for 104 years #OurGreatestTeam RT your support
— Team GB (@TeamGB) augustus 12, 2012
5. Anime fans salute a wedding: 67,000+ retweets 5,000+ favorites When actor Kouichi Yamadera announced in a Tweet that he registered for marriage with actress Rie Tanaka, it became the most retweeted message from Japan this year. Why? Both are prominent Japanese voice actors, famous for many of their anime roles.
— 山寺宏一 (@yamachanoha) juni 17, 2012
What About You?
What was your golden tweet of 2012? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
About the author
Laurens Bianchi is an online marketing professional from the Netherlands and has been blogging on ViralBlog since 2008. Currently Laurens is a Managing Partner and Commercial Director at ICON&Co and Social Media Consultant for the Royal Dutch Football Association.