Top 10 Most Wanted Holiday Gifts Tracked On Social Media
Do you believe that analyzing social media posts will gain the exact insights on what holiday gifts you need to buy for Christmas?
While some people on your Holiday shopping list have probably (and repeatedly) told you what they want this year, there are likely some who you will be scrambling to find that perfect gift up until Christmas Eve!
Before you go crazy figuring out what’s hot, digital firm Prime Visibility aggregated over a million social media conversations from people expressing which gifts they want for the holidays.
Some of what they discovered was expected, but some of these findings really surprised us.
Here are the main learnings:
- Cash and gift cards were the two most requested gifts.
- Outside of cash and gift cards, iPhones were the most widely requested gift. The 5s was the most requested model.
- Nike and Ugg were the two most requested apparel brands.
- While Breaking Bad was the most widely requested TV Show DVD gift, older shows such as Friends and Boy Meets World are also in high demand.
- Starbucks, iTunes, and Target were the most widely requested gift cards – even more so than Visa and American Express which can be used for a variety of different types of purchases (including Starbucks, iTunes, and Target).
- Younger females are more likely to publically express what they want as a gift through Social Media!
- 73% of the social conversations were by females while only 27% was by males.
Infographic: Top 10 Social Media Holiday Gifts
Check out the infographic below with the full outcome of the monitoring
(click on the image for a larger view):
It surprises me that money, or something close to money, is still very popular.
Personally I’ve never gave somebody money as a holiday gift, never received it either.
Another remarkable thing is that a big majority of theses gifts are luxury gifts. I wonder what the percentage will be, consumers actually receiving their holiday wishes…
Anyway, in my opinion, each marketer should run a monitoring project, in order to analyse what their audiences want for Christmas.
Or any other kind of holiday gift period.
This could really stimulate sales, if you adjust your marketing efforts from these insights.
What About You?
Does these insights surprise you? Do you express your holiday wishes on social media?
Follow & Share
Want more stories on breaking with the status quo? Browse our category Viral & Social Video, join us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Pinterest, RSS and get our weekly E-mail Newsletter for updates and free bonus content.
About the Author
Laurens Bianchi is an independent online (sport) marketing professional from the Netherlands and has been blogging on ViralBlog since 2008. Currently Laurens is also the Social Media Consultant for the Royal Dutch Football Association. Follow him on Twitter or contact him on LinkedIn.